The Gospels: Full of Grace and Truth
Laborers in the Vineyard
“For the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man [that is] an householder, which went out early in the morning” (Matthew 20:1)
- The HOUSEHOLDER goes out
“to hire laborers into his vineyard.” (Matthew 20:1)
- The Householder is looking for LABORERS
“And when he had agreed with the laborers for a penny a day, he sent them into his vineyard.” (Matthew 20:2)
- The OFFER of the gospel is clear
“And he went out about the third hour, and saw others standing idle in the marketplace, And said unto them; ‘Go also into the vineyard, and whatsoever is right I will give you.’ And they went their way.” (Matthew 20:3-4)
- What God has chosen to give you is RIGHT
“Again he went out about the sixth and ninth hour, and did likewise. And about the eleventh hour he went out, and found others standing idle, and said unto them, ‘Why do you stand here all the day idle?’ They say unto him, ‘Because no man has hired us. He said unto them, ‘Go also into the vineyard; and whatsoever is right, [that] shall you receive.’” (Matthew 20:5-7)
- The un-HIRED ones
“So when even was come, the lord of the vineyard said unto his steward, ‘Call the laborers, and give them [their] hire, beginning from the last unto the first.’” (Matthew 20:8)
- The day of JUSTICE is coming
“And when they came that [were hired] about the eleventh hour, they received every man a penny. But when the first came, they supposed that they should have received more; and they likewise received every man a penny. And when they had received [it], they murmured against the goodman of the house, Saying, ‘These last have wrought [but] one hour, and you have made them equal unto us, which have borne the burden and heat of the day.’” (Matthew 20:9-12)
- Do for the ONE what you wish you could do for everybody
“But he answered one of them, and said, ‘Friend, I do you no wrong: did you not agree with me for a penny? Take what is yours, and go your way: I will give unto this last, even as unto thee. Is it not lawful for me to do what I will with mine own?’” (Matthew 20:13-15)
- Is your God FREE?
“Is thine eye evil, because I am good?” (Matthew 20:15)
- Is your God GOOD?
“So the last shall be first, and the first last: for many be called, but few chosen.” (Matthew 20:16)
- God’s JUSTICE is different than ours
Connect with Us
Archived Messages - www.peopleofthefreegift.com/bookstore
Facebook - www.facebook.com/peopleofthefreegift
Choose “Emmanuel Baptist Church Roundup” as your charity of choice on smile.amazon.com
Donate - Click on the “shop now” button at www.facebook.com/ebc.roundup
Prep for Next Week
- Begin studying - An Awkward Request - Mark 10:35-45
- Pray for an opportunity to invite a friend to church or share the gospel with them
Follow-up Discussion Questions
- How does it change the mindset of evangelism to know the “householder” goes out to hire laborers?
- How do we keep a healthy balance between resting in the grace of God and keeping the mindset of a laborer in the vineyard?
- What is the gospel? If somebody asked you to share the gospel with them right now, what would you say?
- Why is comparing ourselves to others (successes, finances, family, relationship with God) dangerous?
- Why is operating on the basis of “fairness” limiting?
- Where do you struggle with being content with what God has seen fit to give you?
- Is your God free?
- Is your God good?
- How is God’s justice different than ours?