The Gospels: Full of Grace and Truth
Marriage, Divorce, Singleness, Gender
Matthew 19:1-12; Mark 10:1-12
And it came to pass, [that] when Jesus had finished these sayings, he arose from there, departed from Galilee, and came into the coasts of Judaea by the farther side of Jordan; And great multitudes followed him; and he healed them there. The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, “Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?” And he answered and said unto them, “What did Moses command you?” (Matthew 19:1-3; Mark 10:1-3)
- What’s your view on DIVORCE, Jesus?
And he answered and said unto them, “Have you not read,” (Matthew 19:4)
- Have you not READ?
“that he which made [them] at the beginning of creation made them male and female,” (Matthew 19:4; Mark 10:6)
- There is no GENDER or MARRIAGE without creation
And said, “For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, (Matthew 19:5)
and shall cleave to his wife: (Matthew 19:5)
and the two shall be one flesh?” (Matthew 19:5)
“Wherefore they are no more two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man put asunder.” (Matthew 19:6)
And they said, “Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?” He said unto them, “Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so.” (Matthew 19:7-8)
- Divorce isn’t the UNFORGIVABLE sin
And I say unto you, “Whosoever shall put away his wife, except [it be] for fornication, and shall marry another, commits adultery: and whoso marries her which is put away commits adultery.” (Matthew 19:9)
And in the house his disciples asked him again of the same [matter]. And he said unto them, “Whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, commits adultery against her. And if a woman shall put away her husband, and be married to another, she commits adultery.” (Mark 10:10-12)
- But it is still SIN, and is caused by SIN
His disciples said unto him, “If the case of the man be so with [his] wife, it is not good to marry.” But he said unto them, “All [men] cannot receive this saying, save [they] to whom it is given. For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from [their] mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive [it], let him receive [it].” (Matthew 19:10-12)
- Being SINGLE is good too
Connect with Us
Archived Messages - www.peopleofthefreegift.com/bookstore
Facebook - www.facebook.com/peopleofthefreegift
Choose “Emmanuel Baptist Church Roundup” as your charity of choice on smile.amazon.com
Donate - Click on the “shop now” button at www.facebook.com/ebc.roundup
Prep for Next Week
- Begin studying - Infants brought to Jesus Matthew 19:13-15; Mark 10:13-16; Luke 18:15-17
- Pray for an opportunity to invite a friend to church or share the gospel with them
Follow-up Discussion Questions
- Do you struggle with the Bible’s teaching on:
- Why is Scripture our only perfect guide for faith and conduct?
- In your marriage (relationships), do you struggle most with leaving, cleaving, or securing?
- Was marriage as a representation of the nature of God and his plan of salvation a new concept for you?
- Why is it important to not make singleness, marriage, divorce or gender the central issue or unforgivable sin when talking to unbelievers?